Have a read through these tips before our photographer comes over:
GENERAL – TIPS FOR ALL AREAS OF THE HOME
- Check all light fixtures for burnt out bulbs and replace if needed (very important).
- Turn on all over headlights and lamp including the light over the stove and under counter lighting.
- Turn ceiling fans off, but leave the light on.
- Turn off all TVs, and computer screens.
- De-clutter rooms which may be excessively furnished. De-clutter display cabinets and book shelves. They do not photograph well.
- Windows should be cleaned and free of excessive dust and streaks.
- Open blinds/window treatments to let in outside light. We may change angle of blinds to direct light.
- Clear countertops completely. No knife blocks, cooking/ baking supplies, papers.
- Exceptions to this would be a few décor items.
- Clear outside of refrigerator of magnets, photos, children’s art, including any items on top of refrigerator.
- Tuck garbage cans out of view in a cupboard, pantry or closet.
- Remove any dish or decorative towels hanging on appliances.
- Remove dishes from sink, soap and sponges.
- Remove stacks of newspapers, magazines, kid’s toys. Baskets are helpful to store kid stuff in.
- De-clutter fireplace mantel/hearth; leave only a few décor items.
- Fluff and arrange furniture pillows.
- Remove throws (blankets) or fold nicely and place on back of couch.
- Clean interior of fireplace and repaint if needed. If you have a wood burning fireplace, it makes a great photo by burning some wadded up newspapers just before the photo is taken. If you have gas fireplace we may want you to turn it on before we arrive.
- Make sure all beds are made and bedrooms are tidy. Include decorative pillows/sham if available.
- Clear nightstands of all personal items.
- Store away phone/tablet charging cables.
- Remove clutter from top of dressers.
- If storage items are under the bed be sure they are not visible.
- Clear countertops completely. No toothbrushes, personal items, or soaps. Leave only a few décor items. Rubbermaid containers hidden under the sink are a great way to store these items so they’re still available for day-to-day use.
- Remove shampoo, soap, loofahs, etc. from showers and tubs.
- Arrange towels in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Be sure to lower the toilet lid.
- Remove floor mats.
- Make sure all vehicles are out of your driveway and away from the front of the property.
- Close garage doors.
- Clean up landscaping (mow, trim shrubs, clear leaves, remove empty planters).
- When in season, flowers can add a great pop of color.
- Sweep or blow off driveways, sidewalks, patios and decks so they look clean and inviting.
- Shovel walk ways and driveways in winter
- Tidy up outdoor table, chairs and cushions to highlight the outside living area.
- Place garden hoses and outside trashcans in garage or shed.
- Pools and hot tubs should be uncovered and freshly skimmed of leaves and debris.
- Remove pool vacuum /cleaner hose.
- Turn on fountains/water features.
- Please place all pets in a comfortable but contained area which will not be photographed.
- Items belonging to pets should be removed (litter boxes, food, water bowls, toys, and bedding).